Friday, June 6, 2008

Too many cookbooks, too little time

My cooking time has been cut into a bit this spring by Little League. That season is over, but baseball is now a permanent fixture. Our son loves it, so we signed him up for a travel team. Check out my husband's well written blog about it here. He's the narrative guy, I'm too much of a technical writer (he says and I tend to agree).

That being said, you might see quite a bit of easy make-ahead type of stuff since we have practice from 5-7pm 2 nights a week and all day tournaments 2 weekends a month. If I find something I particularly like, I'm going to include it on this blog for anyone out there with the same predicament - kids in baseball, swimming, soccer, band camp etc. that need something substantial that can be made ahead & even taken along without much fuss.

On Monday I made spectacular sandwiches (no pics sorry), these were make ahead & wholesome: I took a single pork tenderloin, marinated it for a few hours in 1/4 cup bourbon, 2 Tbs. sugar (dissolve in liquid) & 1/4 cup soy sauce. I cooked at 350 for about 40 minutes (to about 145-150), let it cool, then thinly sliced it. I made a spread of equal parts mayo & Greek yogurt, added some Colman's dry mustard to taste. Spread 1 side of a wheat French roll with the spread, the other side with guacamole. Placed some meat & a slice of munster on the spread side, and some salad greens on the other. Rolled up tightly in foil, put in a bag with drinks to keep cool. These sandwiches really got raves from the guys while we watched a tournament game.

No comments: