Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A famous Australian Dessert


A few years ago my son's class did an International Recipes book as a heritage project. On his request, I baked (yes, BAKED) great-grandma's Date Raptures. Here's the recipe, they are really good:

1 cup flour
1/2 tsp each of baking powder, baking soda & salt
1/4 cup shortening (do not substitute, please use Crisco - it will not kill you)
1/2 cup sugar plus 1/4 cup sugar set aside
1 egg
1/3 cup buttermilk (I used the powdered kind: 1/3 cup water where you would add the buttermilk & add the appropriate amount of powder along with the flour mixture)
1 Tbsp grated orange rind
1 cup chopped dates
3/4 cup orange juice strained of pulp

Preheat oven to 350
Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt
With a mixer or beater, beat the sugar (1/2 cup), shortening and the egg.
Add the dry ingredients, then the buttermilk & orange rind. Beat until smooth.
Stir in the dates.
Pour into greased muffin tins about 2/3 full and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Mix the orange juice with the 1/4 cup of sugar & stir to dissolve sugar (don't cook)
Pour the juice over the individual cakes when serving - serve hot.

I baked these early and then heated up in the toaster oven briefly before pouring the juice over. What a nice, light treat! Perfect for proper afternoon tea or a not-too-sweet dessert. Try it!

PS
I did have to buy Crisco, and then had a good laugh when I found an unopened package that expired in 2006 in the pantry. Now you can see that I really don't bake! No idea why I bought the first can. I also noticed that on the package it says "not intended as a spread". Eeek.


No comments: