Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Farfalle w/Smoked Salmon & Vodka Sauce

We've been on a bit of a pasta kick. The 9 year old is in serious baseball workouts right now for league all star team and a travel ball team, so I figure he needs the carbs.
I tried this recipe which I have had in my loose leaf binder for quite some time. I have no idea which magazine it came from or when. The big difference in this one for me was that there is an egg/cream emulsion that is added at the end, off the heat. That made the dish nice & rich tasting but still simple.
1 lb farfalle, cooked al dente
2 Tbs butter melted, add 1 small minced shallot & cook until golden
Add 1/4 cup vodka & cook until evaporated
Add 2 cups of heavy cream & simmer until reduced by half
Stir in 4 oz salmon cut into strips
Season and remove from heat

Beat 3 egg yolks with 1/4 cup cream

Add the pasta (drained of course) to the skillet & combine well, then add the egg mixture & stir over low heat until just warmed through. Season again & serve with some minced chives as garnish (optional).

I would probably make this again. The method called for thinly sliced (lox style) smoked salmon, but I used a cut up chunk of wild smoked salmon instead. I think the lox style is too salty.

No comments: