Thursday, March 27, 2008

The other piece of that salmon


As I mentioned in my previous post, the other piece of salmon was destined for Fennel Cured Salmon from Ruhlman & Polcyn's Charcuterie book. I didn't take any "before" pictures, it didn't really look that pretty... salmon covered in salt/sugar/fennel. And during the process it gives of a ton of liquid (making its own brine). I would definitely make this again. It was really fennel-y, but I don't mind that at all. It even turned out great with Costco skin-off farmed salmon. I bet it would be even better with good salmon! We enjoyed on Easter Sunday with little rye breads and creme fraiche. And champagne of course!
I made a huge piece so shared with friends - hopefully they will post their comments about it after they try it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've done that but I perfer a salmon pastrami or gravlox.

This is because too much fennel and I don't get along. Although my wife is slowly educating me on the subject.

Erika said...

I've done gravlax before, and also one covered in vodka for several days , "drunken salmon". I love fennel & Pernod so enjoyed it a lot. Salmon pastrami sounds good, I haven't tried it... same idea, but with pepper??