Monday, February 2, 2009

My 2nd foray into Charcuterie

I got a KitchenAid grinder attachment for my birthday back in September. With all that has been going on (or not) around here, I haven't really been up to the challenge. Well, after grinding a bit of pork last week for this awesome spicy pork and tofu dish (from Bittman, kind of a simplified mapo tofu),
I realized that it is super simple to operate and maybe I should use it more often.
A craving for biscuits and gravy from our ever hungry 10 year old (not sure where he puts it!) made me decide to make the breakfast sausage from my Ruhlman/Polcyn Charcuterie book. I picked up some pork shoulder, diced it up, measured out the seasonings (went with ground ginger, fresh seems too strong for this), and put in the back of the fridge to chill.
I popped all the grinding mechanisms in the freezer for a while, and ground later in the day. I think that it went okay, it took a long time through the fine die, and I had to clean the cutter off twice. I guess I need to chill the meat even more -- maybe in the freezer for 30 mins or so? -- to keep the fat from getting too soft. But, I persevered and got a nice grind. Cooked up the next morning somehow without photographic evidence, and I pledge now never to buy Jimmy Dean again. Now, to convince my mother in law that this would make the Thanksgiving stuffing 1000% better.....

No comments: