Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Atonement Soup

We did not eat healthily this weekend.... Friday night after baseball we went to Chick-fil-A, Saturday we ate nachos for lunch and steaks for dinner. Sunday I made fresh breakfast sausage, biscuits & gravy for lunch, we had guacamole during the superbowl, and then had ribs for dinner. Monday is our usual soup night, but the first Monday of the month is pub quiz night at The Olde Ship so we did that & ate fish & chips (although I had the curry - yum!).
This nice, simple lentil soup recipe comes from Heidi at 101 Cookbooks, but I found out about it from Claudia at cook eat FRET. The photo with the poached egg looked sooooo good! I used regular lentils, I just took a bit of extra care not to overcook them into mush. When I first mixed in the tomatoes & water, I thought the flavor was too tomato-ey, so I added some crushed red pepper & smoked paprika to darken the spices a bit.
Next time I might add chicken stock instead of water to make the soup a bit richer. I don't think that my hubby is a big fan of lentils, but he enjoyed the kale. Our 10 year old liked it okay. No one had seconds, so I have a ton leftover. I think I might try it with a poached or fried egg for dinner tonight before band..But, wow, the saffron yogurt! That may have been my favorite part. And, it looks so pretty in the bowl. I would probably make this again next time we feel the need to atone for bad eating habits, as it is healthy and wholesome. On a side note, I have a bunch of kale, plus some chard, leftover. That is going to be a wonderful side with roasted chicken on Thursday. I start a new job on Monday, so expect a return to some of the quick weeknight meals.

No comments: