Tuesday, January 27, 2009

By special request from a 10 year old

I love my kid. He eats his veggies, still calls me Mommy, and cracks me up on a daily basis. Before too long, he will be taller than me - yikes!! For weeks now, he has been requesting French onion soup. Yes, he is 10, but he is an adventurous eater for sure.. So, I pulled out one of my many "bistro-ish" cookbooks just to get the proportions right, and chopped lots of onions, cooked slowly in my Le Creuset to the desired brown-ness, and used up the rest of my store of beef stock & a splash of port. YUM!

There are very few things that make me happier than the smell of sauteeing onions. I had baked a very nice baguette earlier in the day for the croutons, brushed with some minced garlic & olive oil before toasting,

and used Dubliner cheddar insted of the considerably more expensive gruyere (there is a recession on, after all).

This got rave reviews, I knew it would so I served it in huge bowls instead of the cool FireKing soup crocks I have. The pot was literally clean at the end of dinner. We are loving this soup night thing. Carrots were 78 cents for a 2 lb bag this afternoon, so carrot soup is up again on Monday, or Tuesday due to pub quiz night.
On a side note, just finished reading Kathleen Flinn's "The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry".. and entertaining read with a good recipe for "ragu" that I made Sunday & we enjoyed thoroughly (though it really tasted more like "stroganoff").

No comments: