Monday, February 11, 2008

Yes it is old fashioned...


Not only that, but it contains canned soup. I suppose if you want to be all gourmet you can make a bechamel instead. But really, this is part of history. My mother in law was given this recipe by one of the presidential daughters at a luncheon back in the 60s. My husband and his brother grew up with it, and my son adores it. Why mess with tradition.

Chicken Divan!

I usually microwave and then dice 2 big fat chicken breasts (or else I buy an 8oz pack of already cooked chicken chunks from Trader Joes), steam a bag of cut up broccoli florets (but not too much or it gets too mushy). Place the broccoli in the bottom of a casserole, add the chicken on top.

Mix 1 can of cream of chicken soup with ½ soup can of mayo, 3-5 Tbs curry powder and nearly all of a 4 cup package of grated cheese (I like to use a sharp cheddar). Stir this all together, pour over the casserole, and top with what is left of the cheese.

Cook uncovered in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes until the cheese on the top is nice and crusty. Serve over white rice.

No comments: